Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Our First Road Day

(Annrose writes)
The first leg of the trip is done and I said goodbye to a lot of good people today, who I will miss very much!! Of course we hit a crap load of traffic in NY – the GW Bridge UGH!!! I look forward to NOT having to deal with that in AZ. Flatlands & Mountains AAHH!!!

There’s some snow here in Winchester, VA, but it doesn’t look too bad. Now that I have an SUV, I don’t think I can go back to a car now.
Tomorrow we head out to Kingsport, TN then we’re on our way to Nashville to see one of Bill’s oldest friends from when they were kids growing up in the projects in the Bronx. So, looking forward to that.

(Bill adds)- We also hit traffic 2 other times aside from the Cross Bronx & the GW Bridge, both on I-78 West in Jersey. Once we got into Penn. It was pretty clear sailing. Annrose is trying to “take” it a bit slower driving, and it’s hard to do when semis’ and bigger SUV’s are driving past you. Some truckers are a bit aggressive. We only made 2 pit stops, once at the Lombardi service area by the Meadowlands and once on 78 in Penn., near the I-81 interchange.

After the second stop the last 2 hrs. went pretty smooth, but just as we hit the VA. line the snow started. We just made it off I-81 and into the hotel parking lot as it got a little heavy. We are now in Winchester Va. Just past the W.VA. line. Sorry no photos yet, today was too hectic for either of us to shoot at all. Tomorrow we drive the rest of Va. and into the Tenn. Mountains.

Time Started: 1:08pm
Miles: 328
Time ended (with stops & traffic) 8:22 pm
Actual drive time: 5hrs. & 49 Mins.